Which Firefox extensions would you pay money for?

July 30, 2007

firefox extensions, add-ons or pluggins

Extensions add some great functionality to Firefox. Although with thousands available, your web browser can quickly become overloaded. But what if you had to pay for them, which extensions would you really install?

Here’s ten extensions I use on daily basis and have made the effort to installing them on more than one machine on a number of occasions.

1.  image
    Foxmarks
    - If you use more than one machine (linux, vista, apple etc), get Foxmaks to synchronise your bookmarks between all your machines, acts as a backup too.
  2. image
    CoComment
    - Create more micro-blogging content with CoComment. Every time you leave a comment on various blogs, YouTube or Flickr etc, have CoComment website produce an RSS feed.
  3. image
    InFormEnter
    - If your a web developer or blogger I couldn’t recommend this pluggin more, one of my favourite for saving time. I know your browser has smart forms, i.e. remembers what you’d written in pervious forms, but sometimes they become a little overcrowded.
  4. image
    Delicious
    - I think most people would probably not use delicious if it wasn’t for this extension?
  5. image
    SearchStatus
    - If your concern about Google ranking of your website’s, like to spy on the competition or concern who you link to then this add-on gives you Alexa and Google Page rank in the bottom right hand side.
  6. image
    Google Notebook
    - Have quick snippets of text available within your browser, useful for regular used HTML and formulating blog posts. I lke this because I can share text between multiple machines.
  7. image
    Picnik
    - This extension allows you edit images you find on web pages online (IE and Firefox). When your done you can send them to flick, photobucket or just save them to your desktop. I’ve briefly mentioned this one before.
  8. image
    vtigerCRM Toolbar
    - This won’t interest 99% of people unless you have the excellent vTiger CRM’s (Customer Relationship Management Software). This toolbar allows us quick access to our CRM to add contacts, leads, notes and task etc.
  9. image
    Web Developer Toolbar
    - This tool bar provides a loads of features that can make a web developers life alot easier. Some of my favourite features are window resizing for testing on smaller displays, div ordering, line guides and auto form populating.
  10. image
    Text Formatting Toolbar
      - Recently our company has gone a little Wiki mad. So this toolbar makes inserting wiki code a lot easier. Not into Wiki’s, you can also use it to insert HTML and BBcode.

Your Firefox Extensions

I’d love to know which Firefox extension you can’t live without. You might only have two extension you would pay for or it maybe twenty? You may have a similar list as mine or extensions that do the same job but are slightly better?

To get us started I have tagged a couple of my favourite blogs who generally blog about different things to give us a wider spectrum…

Jamie

Technorati tags: ,

Related posts:

1. Google Operating System - Chrome
  2. What are Firefox profiles?
  3. Firefox 3
  4. Free Desktop Blogging Clients
  5. Plan Your Website, Save Money and Time

Author: Support @ 8:00 am

10 Comments »

1. Hi Jamie,

Firefox is my browser of choice. I do love Opera, but I spend a fair amount of time using Google Reader, and Opera just doesn’t format it well (especially embedded video clips which seem to mess the page up).

Two extensions I use the most are the rendering switch to automatically show whatever page you’re on in Internet Explorer (must get the web developer one), and the Search Status extension (showing those pink nofollow links and letting me keep up to speed on competitor Page Ranks.

I know how you use CoComment to subscribe to conversations. Personally I stick with the ’subscribe to comments’, but of course not everyone has this installed.

Thanks for showing a few I wasn’t aware of.

Comment by David Airey :: Graphic Designer — July 30, 2007 @ 8:51 am

2. Thanks for taking the time to write

If I get enough response I will write them up as a post.

Jamie

Comment by Terinea — July 30, 2007 @ 10:09 am

3. I really like the idea of Foxmarks - it’s an obvious but useful add-in. It’s a pity there isn’t something like that already in IE. Isn’t Firefox getting a bit bloaty these days? (Ok, not as bloaty as IE!).

As for paying for add-ins - I thought the point of Firefox and the Mozilla project was to offer free alternatives - if so it would kind of be against the spirit of the project to ask for payment of add-ins.

Jason.
    theitmanagersjournal.blogspot.com

Comment by Jason Slater — July 30, 2007 @ 12:16 pm

4. I only use 3 - I could not live without Search Status, I just love this one and it makes so many things easier and better. And the second is my StumbleUpon toolbar. StumbleUpon has the potential to send a lot of traffic, and then when I read something I like, I can Stumble it. And of course, coComment (thanks to you) and this one is indispensable for all my blog commenting.

Comment by Danielle — July 31, 2007 @ 3:33 am

5. I am powerless without FireFTP. I’m with Danielle on Search Status. I’ve become addicted to knowing everyone’s rankings.

Comment by Angela — July 31, 2007 @ 4:32 am

6. Angela

Never used FireFTP as I’m quite happy with FileZilla, although I’m sure it is quite useful.

Danielle
    I have StumbleUpon toolbar but I always forget to use it. I don’t like having my browser too full of add-ons

Jason
    Yeah I think Firefox can become a little bloated, that why I try prune my extension now and again. I suppose that was the whole idea of the post to ask people which extensions do you think are that good, you’d pay money for them.

Jamie

Comment by Edinburgh Computer Support — July 31, 2007 @ 10:49 am

7. I don’t know if Id be willing to pay for any of them because I just use foxfire for browsing and I use Gmail…. I am not educated enough to make any real choice, I guess you can tell by my answers at the top of this reply LOL.
    Peace!

Comment by Judy — July 31, 2007 @ 12:26 pm

8. Since I’m a web developer, I have various toolbars that make my life a lot easier. Four extensions that I would happily pay for include Web Developer Toolbar (as you mentioned), Firebug, FireFTP, and IETab.

I’m definitely going to have to check out a few of these from the post and comments that I haven’t heard of before!

Comment by Matt Huggins — July 31, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

9. I would pay money for Search Status. I’m using it right now, and I find it very useful! Thanks for sharing the 10 plug-ins. I’m going to try Piknik!

Comment by Grace — July 31, 2007 @ 10:04 pm

10. Okay, I just had to drop by and share that I just downloaded SearchStatus, and I love it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment by Matt Huggins — August 1, 2007 @ 6:54 pm