Free Remote Support Software

October 10, 2007

remote control support

Many businesses benefit from remote support software which enables IT departments and computer support companies to resolve computer issues. For businesses that are big enough to have a central server, this can be achieved easily with little expenditure using software like VNC or Remote Desktop. Smaller businesses typically need to purchase software like Log Me In or Go To Assist. That was until CrossLoop came on the scene.

CrossLoop is an ideal solution for businesses:-

• That don’t have a central server
  • Don’t want to mess around with router configurations
  • Require a secure connection
  • More than one PC in their network
  • Require remote support while out of the office
  • Don’t have a static IP address provided by their ISP (As a business you will benefit from having a static IP address)
  • or are not willing to purchase remote support software

CrossLoop does have a couple of disadvantages over other paid solutions. Such as, you can’t transfer files (now comes with file transfer!) and you need someone else to confirm access code at the other end. Although with one of my clients, I prefer this level of security because of the nature of the sensitive information they deal with.

How does remote support software work?

Here is a quick explanation of how remote control software works in businesses that have server and those that don’t.

how remote support software works with businesses that have a central server

Think of the server as a secretary that re-directs your telephone calls to the correct person (computer) within the business.

how remote support software works with businesses that don't have a central server

For businesses that don’t have a secretary (server), the computer support company needs a virtual secretary (CrossLoop, Logmein etc) to assist them with the location of the person (computer) to whom they are connecting to.

How to use CrossLoop

Here is Terinea’s quick guide to using CrossLoop.

1. Download and install CrossLoop, from
  2. Run CrossLoop - requiring remote assistance. Alternatively if you’re joining a hosted CrossLoop session jump to step 3.
    1. If you’re requiring remote assistance, click on the HOST tab and provide the person connecting to you with the Access Code.
      crossloop host tab
    2. Once they have the access code, press “Connect” and wait for them to connect.
      waiting for connection, crossloop
    3. Once the connection has been made, you will need confirm by clicking on Yes.
      confirm connection crossloop
  3. Run CrossLoop - joining a hosted CrossLoop session - Providing support.
    1. Click on the JOIN tab and enter the access code provided by your friend (HOST).
      image
    2. Click connect and wait for the host to confirm connection (Step 3 Above)
      image
    3. After a couple of second the process should be complete, enabling you to control the remote computer
      Crossloop connected

File Transfers and more

Alternatively you can watch an eight minute video that explains the process in more detail, although I prefer Robert Scoble video below. It is also worth visiting CrossLoop’s excellent user guide page that explains the process in more detail, including how to transfer files. I have also made this page available as a PDF.

CrossLoop, Windows Vista and Windows Defender

Windows Defender and Crossloop

When using CrossLoop on Windows Vista, a screen a like above may appear, click on the Ignore button. Windows Defender seems to think its some type of spyware. I can re-assure you, it isn’t!

To stop this from happening again, click on Start bar (Windows logo) > Control Panel > Security > Windows Defender. Under Review potentially unwanted items, click on Review items detected by real-time protection. Once the screen below appears select Always Allow from Action and then Apply Actions.

crossloop window sdefender

What remote access software do you use?

Related posts:

1. Copying Files Between Your Apple Mac and Windows Server Using Remote Desktop Connection
  2. Setting up an FTP connecting using FileZilla
  3. My Favourite Mac Software - Part I
  4. Getting Started with Open Source Software
  5. Connecting To Your Business Server Remotely (Terminal Server)

Author: Support @ 6:21 pm

17 Comments »

1. Interesting post - I am currently paying for my remote control solution and use NTRSupport which is a very useful support tool as it allows us to place a button on our website that users can click to obtain help via a chat session; remote control can be triggered from then on. Previously I used LogmeinRescue which again was very useful.

Jas.

Comment by Jason Slater — October 11, 2007 @ 10:37 am

2. A BIG thanks from this small team at CrossLoop for such a wonderful and detailed review of our product. You dont see this but it means a lot.
    Please feel free to email me if you or your readers have any questions.
    Also, I recommend that you subscribe to our blog…. we are working on some really exciting stuff.
    Thanks

Comment by Mrinal — October 11, 2007 @ 10:51 am

3. Jason - That sounds like an excellent idea for our new website.

Mrinal - Thank you for dropping by! I will be subscribing to your blog. Its an excellent product, I hope it grows from strength to strength.

Jamie

Comment by admin — October 12, 2007 @ 10:38 am

4. Hi Jamie,

Great article on Crossloop. I’ve been using it for quite some time myself. It’s too bad it does require the user to download software, but so far I’m finding that Crossloop is pretty simple and is out performing other applications like Unyte (plugin for Skype), and Yuuguu. However I always did like the true VNC interface, (which is the core behind Crossloop) as it gives us the ability to control the color ratio and turn off backgrounds. I hope Crossloop will give us access to those options in the future, as it will just make the process of providing remote support so much more efficient and faster.

Excellent write-up Jamie!

Comment by Richard — October 20, 2007 @ 2:12 am

5. Richard - Thanks for your comments, will have to check out Yuuguu and Unyte.

Jamie

Comment by Jamie — October 22, 2007 @ 4:36 pm

6. Hi Guys

Please forgive my ’suspicious’ nature - but why is this free ?

Thanks

Bill

Comment by Bill Butler — January 9, 2008 @ 3:34 pm

7. Bill - I think they want to build a kind of social network group. You can also offer your IT skills by place a badge on your website.

Comment by Jamie — January 10, 2008 @ 5:27 pm

8. Hey Bill - I notice you have forum on your website, how does that work out for you? I was thinking about create one myself for more technical info.

Jamie

Comment by Jamie — January 10, 2008 @ 5:33 pm

9. Hi Jamie

I get it now - thanks - I couldn’t get it to work at first - but I was trying to do about 20 things at the same time…which is becoming the ‘norm’..

:-)

Anyway, I’ll have another go later…

The forum on our website is becoming one of our most valuable (or is) touch points with the big wide world. We get people on there who are genuinely interested in helping others and we get a ‘knowledgebase’ built as a by-product.

Comment by Bill Butler — January 10, 2008 @ 7:35 pm

10. Hi

I’m looking at revamping our website - using a free CMS - I know about Joomla and Wordpress - any recommendations ? Any I should take a look at…Is this site done with Wordpress ?

Comment by Bill Butler — February 3, 2008 @ 1:46 am

11. [...] and services. I wouldn’t rule out free software - Jamie at Terinea posted an article “Free Remote Support Software” which talks about Cross Loop which (although requiring a user download) seems to offer a [...]

Pingback by IT PRO: Blogs: Jason Slater: Which remote support solution to choose? — March 18, 2008 @ 6:37 pm

12. We use or have used several of the support tools you mention including vnc, Microsoft remote desktop, logmein.

I’ve only use Crosslink once and found it to be frustratingly slow in comparison with other tools. This might well have been down to the site I was connected to, so I’d be interested to hear about your experience of Crosslink speed.

Comment by Jonathan Kempson — June 21, 2008 @ 11:46 am

13. [...] [...]

Pingback by free remote software — July 22, 2008 @ 8:06 pm

14. CrossLoop is an alternative solution for 1 on 1.

For us corporates, we’re thinking of moving to and using http://www.simple-help.com solely because it is cost effective and will have us thousands of dollars in the long term.

Benefits:

-Global License is the best deal: Unlimited Technicians/Sessions/Servers
    -Your own server (full control)to customize your own main webpage.
    -One time purchase (lifetime license)
    -First year support/updates/upgrade free
    -Year support is cheap and well worth it.
    -Best of all, NO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION!

I’d recommend Simple-Help to medium and large corporations to provide IT Support to their users.

Simple-help is web-based and cheaper than GoToAssist, Log-Me In and others that wants monthly subscriptions.

Comment by VNSysAdmin — August 1, 2008 @ 12:17 am

15. CrossLoop has worked for me when GotoAssist Failed on a client.

Works great.
    I would like a easier way for a user to download.
    But For Free what can I expect?
    Laugh

Russ Grover
    WorldWide SBS2003 Support - SBITS.Biz

Comment by Russ (Portland Oregon) — August 13, 2008 @ 8:41 am

16. Teamviewer is by far and away the easiest tool to use, sorry guys. Gets past most nats and firewalls.

Crossloop looks good though.

Comment by Dan Higgins — May 17, 2009 @ 5:35 pm