Last month we decided that we needed something a bit stronger than Basecamp for logging IT support requests. So it was time again to look at open source helpdesk solutions. Here is a brief summary of our research.
Our requirements are:-
- Easy and fast to log support calls
- Web based
- Customer and contract driven
- Knowledge Base
- Service Level Agreements – Reports
- Friendly and professional looking
- PHP / Perl based
- Isn’t a dead project
- Asset Tracker – Old, not easy on the eye
- Astres – Written in French and designed for Civil aviation
- BATTS – Couldn’t see any screen shots or documentation, felt too technie
- BugTracker.NET – Needs Windows Server ASP.NET
- Bugzilla – Designed more for software development than IT support
- DITrack – Command line driven
- Double Choco Latte – Maybe a dead project? Doesn’t look too appealing.
- Eventum – Software development rather than IT support
- Helpdesk Reloaded – Looks dated
- Helpdesk Issue Management – No Knowledge base or statistic
- Information Resource Manager – I looked at this one a couple of years ago but appears the project is now dead
This list was made up from
In the end we decided to give Sitracker a bash. Hopefully post an update in the future on how we’ve got on with it.